Saturday, February 4, 2012

Irene Petipren Record of Birth

Irene's birth record can be found in the Michigan Births, 1867-1902 for Irene Adele Petipren at the Family History Library, microfilm film number 2,322,379. The record spans two pages and shows her birth date as 22 December 1892 in Ira, St. Clair County, Michigan.



The original record states Irene's name as being Annie Pettiepren and her father as Joseph Pettiepren and her mother as Mary Pettiepren. After reporting their decision to name their daughter Annie to the State of Michigan, Irene's parents apparently changed their minds from calling her Annie to Irene Adele. I wonder why? What caused them to decided on Irene Adele instead of Annie?

The original record indicates an affidavit was filed on March 9, 1943, to correct the original record from Annie Pettiepren to Irene Adele Petipren; her father Joseph Pettiepren to Joseph Henry Petipren; and her mother Mary Pettiepren to Mary Schultz (her maiden name). The "Occupation of Father Field" on the second page of the record was originally filled in with the word Merchant. The occupation title of housewife for her mother is the only entry filled in on the page for a mother and the darker color of the ink suggests the word housewife was added with the affidavit correction. If the record had not been changed, this birth record would have been put into question as to whether or not this was her actual birth certificate.

I do not know the reason for the name change but I am glad her name was changed. I love the name Irene Adele. I used the middle name of Adele for my own daughter's middle name. Every time I call my daughter Adele I think of my great grand-mother and for one moment it brings to my mind both generations and how much I love them both.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Interesting information Peggy. We had a similar situation when we got into my father's records and found several different names listed for him as an infant. I guess they just couldn't make up their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peggy for all this great information about my heritage. Irene Adele is my Grandmother. I am Diane (Stahl) Raby daughter of Albert J. Stahl. My Father is now 90 years old. I just shared this information today with him about his Mother's original name of Annie and he did not know this. How funny my nickname is Annie. I am going to share all this great blog info with my entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy are you Charlene's Daughter?

    ReplyDelete